Saturday, July 25, 2009

Existing recipes, store warnings, and such...

Welcome to my first post!

There are many different ways to change up an already existing recipe and make it egg free. My favorite substitute is vanilla yogurt.

We love pancakes! So, I buy Pioneer Brand pancake mix. Then, I change up how I mix the batter. Instead of water, I add milk, and one teaspoon of vanilla yogurt if I am only making pancakes for me and my daughter (3 pancakes). If I make more than 3 pancakes, say for my daughter, me, my husband (2 for him), and our house-guest, I add one heaping tablespoon to the batter. You want batter that is not too thick, but is not too runny so you add more batter and milk if needed. You usually will not have to add more than one tablespoon of vanilla yogurt unless you are cooking the whole box! This stuff really works, yet, it is also working with the milk. Just make sure you have a hot skillet waiting before you add your batter. Your result? Fluffy, yummy pancakes with extra calcium.

I normally only buy chicken stock or beef stock now since it is hard to find egg free bouillon cubes. Or I just make my own. Really? Yes, you may pick up a bottle of chicken or beef bouillon cubes at Walmart (any store) and see no eggs listed in the ingredient list, but look further down and you will see "processed in an egg facility" or something along those lines. This could mean an allergy attack for someone that has a pretty severe allergic reaction. You MUST look at the bottom of all packages when looking for egg free. You will be surprised how easy it is to miss it. My husband bought French fries a few weeks ago, and the bottom of the package had a warning on it for eggs and other allergic triggers. I kid you not!!

For brownies, I make them from scratch (which I will share later), omit the eggs and replace with a tablespoon of cream cheese, and 2 tablespoons of water. You can do this for Duncan Hines mixes as well, and I have had much success with the outcome. I also do this for cupcakes. Cakes are still a little bit of a problem since they crumble, but I am working on them. I am going to make a cake soon with the binder being vanilla pudding. I have done it with cream cheese before and the cakes are very, very yummy, but crumbly. So cupcakes work best for me. Banana bread/cakes seem to be the exception. Just omit the eggs (works fine with banana cake/bread) and add a little water. You can use some vanilla yogurt, cream cheese or even applesauce for banana cake, but just a little and watch the batter. Just like pancakes, not too thick and not too thin.

Experiment and have fun!


0 comments:

Recipes, unless stated otherwise, created by me. Please do not distribute without permission, but you may post a link to them. Thanks!

Fav eggfree items

  • Clabber Girl baking powder
  • Duncan Hines mixes (usually don't have egg)
  • Knorr bouillon cube
  • Luxury brand noodles (always read before you buy)
  • Pioneer Brand (pancakes)

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP